Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Cauliflower Tots

Cauliflower tot recipe? Yes!

When you don’t know what to cook, look in your fridge for inspiration. Ask yourself which items may end up in the trash if you don’t use them soon. I had a huge head of cauliflower in the fridge that was calling my name, so I Googled and Pinned a bunch of cauliflower recipes yesterday.

Did you know you can do some really amazing things with cauliflower?! Some of my favourite finds were Cauliflower Crust Breadsticks, Cauliflower Tortillas, General Tso’s Cauliflower, and Buffalo “Chicken” Vegetarian Style. I've made Cauliflower Crust Pizza in the past and it was very good, but this time, I decided to make these cauliflower tots.

My 6 year old liked these dipped in ketchup, but my 4 year old didn't want anything to do with them at all. I thought they were good and ate most of them myself - It seems like I eat most of everything myself.

I started to chop my cauliflower, then I realised it would be so much easier to grate it. I used the large holes on the grater and got the job done in no time. I suppose a food processor would also work, but who wants to wash that? I also used regular sharp cheddar instead of the low fat stuff.

Visit my Cauliflower Pinterest board for more recipes.
Go>>

See other recipes on Jenny’s Cookbook using cauliflower.
Go>>



Above: The grater was much faster, but a knife will do.

Cauliflower Tots
Adapted from Skinnytaste
Makes 32-38 pieces (I got 38)

Ingredients
  • 2 cups cooked cauliflower, grated
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
  • 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
  2. I steamed my cauliflower until it was tender but not soft. It should be able to hold together when you grate I and not turn to mush. I also ran it under cold water after steaming because I didn't want the cheese to melt or the egg to cook during mixing. Plus, I didn't want to burn my hands.
  3. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
  4. I tried to use my hands to make little rolls, but the mixture was falling apart, so I went ahead and used the quenelle technique. That’s the one where you use 2 spoons to make a football shape with the food. I’m sure you've seen them do this on TV. If you’re not sure how it works, click here to see a video. I used teaspoons and got 38 tots. If you don’t mind them being round, you could use a mini cookie scoop, and flatten them slightly with your hand.
  5. Now place your tots gently on the prepared sheet (they don’t spread so they can be fairly close together), and bake for about 20 minutes until golden on all sides (you’ll need to turn them once or twice during baking – a spoon will do).
  6. I served them with ketchup. One day, I’ll make this recipe with potatoes and dip them in sour cream.
Looking for more Appetizer recipes? Click Here!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts