Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Apple Pie with Apple Cinnamon Cheerio and Brown Butter Crust

I wasn't in the mood to make a pie crust so I had to think of something else that I could use to make a pie base instead. I had apple cinnamon Cheerios on hand so I tried to make a crust out of those - I was pretty happy with the result!


Brown Butter

Apple Cinnamon Cheerios


Use whatever apples you have.


Ready to go into the oven.






Apple Pie with Apple Cinnamon Cheerio and Brown Butter Crust
Makes 8 Servings

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups Apple Cinnamon Cheerios
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 4 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons corn starch
  • 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
  • 1/4 cup salted caramel sauce
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 8x8 glass dish with parchment.
  2. Use a food processor to crush your cheerios, then dump them into a bowl.
  3. Place the butter over medium high heat until it starts to bubble, foam and turn brown (see the image above). Pour the butter into the crushed cheerios and mix until well combined and crumbly.
  4. Put the crust mixture into the prepared pan and press it down evenly. You can go up the sides a little too. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
  5. In the meantime, combine the apples with the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and corn starch. When the crust comes out of the oven, evenly place the apple mixture on top. Bake this for 20 minutes, then sprinkle on the turbinado sugar and bake for another 10 minutes. Your pie should be bubbling after 30 minutes and the apples should be soft.
  6. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly before pouring on the caramel. Serve warm or let it cool completely.

Comments

  1. I love your crust idea. Those are tasty Cheerios but to put them into a crust is pure genius.

    I'm #27 on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine that your crust must be crispy with the Cheerios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy! Cool idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for the crust! This type of crust I may actually make (I usually buy my pie crust pre-made). Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheerios? What a fantastic idea! Great CCC recipe! I'm #17 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great crust idea. It looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique crust! I could never resist an apple pie drizzled with caramel sauce...mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cherio crust intrigued me. It looks great and would probably appeal to the kids since they are familiar with the cereal flavors.

    I'm #29 CCC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, the apples look yummy piled up there! I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made a crust out of Cheerios? How ingenious! It looks fantastic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never would've thought to use Cheerios like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks good! I might try it with Apple Cinnamon Chex so I can make it gluten free. Thanks for sharing! #32

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is November of 2018. Now they have a bunch of gf cereals to try. I think the Cheerios pie crust sounds great...and easy enough for me to try. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts