Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

No Torch Crème Brûlée

Crème Brûlée seems like a fancy dessert, right? Well, it's actually easier than pie. It only takes 10 minutes or less to prepare the base and you don't need a torch to get that delicious candy topping. If I can do it, you can do it!

I will say though that the topping does turn out a little thicker than I'd like. When you're pouring it over the chilled custard it starts to harden pretty quickly so you have to turn the ramekins fast. I'll likely be investing in a kitchen torch just so I can get a thinner topping, but it's not necessary!




Above: Chilled and ready to be topped.

Above: Not dark enough yet. Keep going. It takes awhile to get the right colour.


Crème Brûlée
Adapted from Adam Ragusea
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 4 tablespoons white sugar
  • 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • heavy whipping cream
  • 4 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon water
Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 300F. Adam says 250F but it was taking forever for me at that temperature. The 2nd time I used 300F and it was fine at 45 minutes.Place first 3 ingredients in a measuring cup and beat well with a fork. Add whipping cream until the mixture reaches the 2 cup mark on your measuring cup. Beat again until well combined.
  • Adam says there's no need to strain the mixture but I did anyway. 
  • Divide the mixture among 4 ramekins (I don't know what size mine are but they should be able to hold 1/2 of the mixture).
  • I placed my ramekins in a glass baking dish and then filled with water halfway up the ramekins. Again, this is something that Adam says is unnecessary but I did it anyway because it only took a few extra seconds. 
  • Bake for about 45 minutes. It's hard to describe when they're done. You should go watch the video. 
  • Chill in the fridge until completely cool.
  • To make the topping, add 4 tablespoons of sugar, maple syrup and water to a small pot. Mix to combine then cook over medium heat until the colour turns a deep gold. Do not stir during the process. And do not lick the spoon or stick your finger in the pot at any point. I know it's tempting but you WILL get burned. 
  • Turn off the stove and pour 1/4 of the syrup into one of the ramekins. Quickly start turning it so the syrup coats the top of the custard. Be sure to place the pot back on the burner to keep it fluid until you get them all coated. The tops will harden super fast and they're ready to eat. 
  • If you store these in the fridge, the topping with get soft but they are still equally as delicious!
  • Soak your pot in hot water and the hardened candy will wash away easily. 
Watch Adam's video here https://youtu.be/9Jja-kf5z4U - he also includes the breakdown of ingredients per custard so you can use his measurements and multiply as needed.

Comments

Popular Posts