Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes (Vegan)

I think this is my new favourite thing to eat. You can make it gluten free by using a different thickening agent, and GF breadcrumbs.

I make my own cashew milk. Cashew milk is a nice option because it's creamy. With cashews, there's no need to strain. Just soak them for a few hours and then blend them with fresh water. The less water you add, the creamier it will be. This makes it ideal for making your own dips and other creamy things.

I used 3 potatoes for this recipe. I ate half for dinner last night, and half for lunch today. You could easily get 4 servings out of this recipe if you're only using it as a side.

I take pictures with my phone before I eat what I make.
I know they are crappy sometimes. I have come to accept this.

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
Makes 2-4 Servings

Ingredients
  • 3 medium yellow potatoes
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon Earth Balance or olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 cups cashew milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon pink salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
Directions
  1. Wash your potatoes and slice them into 1/8" rounds. I didn't peel them. Set aside.
  2. Preheat your oven to 400F.
  3. In a pot, cook the onions in butter over medium heat until they are golden. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
  4. Add all the other ingredients to the pot, except breadcrumbs, and stir until it comes up to a simmer. Let it cook for a few minutes until it starts to thicken.
  5. Get a 9x9 glass baking dish and layer the sauce with the potatoes. I started with a bit of sauce to cover the bottom.
  6. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
  7. Remove the cover, sprinkle the breadcrumbs on, and cook for another 20 minutes uncovered. It will be bubbly and golden. It will also be hot so watch your tongue.
  8. This reheats great the next day. I used my mini slow cooker, which is perfect for a single serving of anything.


Comments

Popular Posts