Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Roasted Red Pepper Mac & Cheese ( Vegan )

Here's a recipe I found on Kris Carr's website. It almost has a pizza taste to it. I like it! It's really creamy, and leftovers make a nice lunch the next day. I mixed the whole thing together and then just re-heated the rest the next day, but you could store the pasta and sauce separately if you wish.

You can start soaking your cashews in the morning so they're ready when you return home from work. I left out the garlic, but the original recipe has 2 cloves. Up to you. I also made my own little spice blend because I have no idea where to buy pizza spice mix.

I like to use kamut or brown rice pasta instead of the regular stuff, but any pasta would work. I also like to choose a shape that will hold the sauce, nothing too flat. Choose something with grooves or something twirly.



Roasted Red Pepper Mac & Cheese ( Vegan )
Adapted from Kris Carr
2 servings (4 if using as a side)

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound pasta
  • 3/4 cups raw cashews, soaked
  • 2 teaspoons avocado oil
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (I used about 3 – I like it)
  • 1 roasted red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
  • ½ teaspoon dried basil
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Directions
  1. Cook your pasta according to package directions. Save some of the cooking liquid.
  2. Rinse your cashews and place them in a blender.
  3. In a small pan over medium heat, sauté your onions in the oil for 5 minutes or so until they become translucent; then, transfer them to the blender along with all the other ingredients.
  4. Blend on medium speed for a minute or two, until you see a beautiful creamy sauce.
  5. Transfer the sauce back to the pot that you cooked the onions in and heat it through. It should thicken up. If it becomes too thick, you can add some of the pasta cooking liquid. Now you can stir the sauce into your pasta. It's easy right?! Yum!

Comments

  1. Now that's what I call vegan comfort food! This dish looks so delectable! I'm so glad you shared your Roasted Red Pepper Mac & Cheese at the Plant-Based Potluck Party! Thank you so much for sharing your gems and for your support! I'm pinning and sharing! All the best, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mac & cheese too and I'm on the hunt for the best vegan one I can find as well! I have one with a cashew base but I'll have to try this one too because I love roasted red peppers. Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! That's what I needed cashews for! :) I knew I was soaking them for something - I might just try this for dinner... I wonder if I could get my boys to eat it :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts