Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pickled Vegetables

My mother-in-law served these up with dinner tonight. She made them about a week ago and they are so good! If you love pickled things, you'll love these. They have a little bite to them because of the jalapenos.

She doesn't know the measurements, but she did tell me what went into this beautiful jar. I guess it's just one of those recipes that you have to eyeball and hope for the best. I would guess it's probably 1:1 for the vinegar and water.




Ingredients
cauliflower, cut into bitesize chunks
cellery, sliced
carrots, cubed
Persian cucumbers, sliced
garlic cloves
jalapenos, seeded (or not, it's up to you) and sliced
cider vinegar
boiling water
salt

Directions
Place all the vegetables into the jar. Mix the vinegar, water and salt and pour over the vegetables to about 1/2" from the top of the jar. Seal it and let it sit in the cupboard for at least a week. My MIL says you don't have to refrigerate these ever. I probably will though. I tend to refrigerate most things after I open them, unless the label specifically tells me not to.

I suppose if you wanted to make many jars, you should go through a canning process of some sort. But I'm not an expert on that. These would make a pretty awesome Christmas gift! Hmm. Maybe I need to do some research on this canning business.

No comments:

Post a Comment