Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Rhubarb and Apple Crumble

My cousin gave me some rhubarb from her garden recently, so I went searching for ways to use the rhubarb in a dessert. 

I added a bit more sugar because my rhubarb was super sour. It was also a little bit red until I cooked it. Then it turned green as you can see from the pictures. Very strange but it still tasted great! What kind of colour changing rhubarb did you give me, Jessica? Was it from your magic garden?




Rhubarb and Apple Crumble

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

For the Filling
  • 1 lb rhubarb, chopped
  • 1 lb apples, peeled and chopped
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the Topping
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cold butter, diced
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
  2. Place the rhubarb, apples, 1/4 cup sugar, melted butter, vanilla and cornstarch in a large bowl and toss to combine. Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
  3. In the meantime, prepare the topping.
  4. Place the flour and baking powder in a bowl and cut in the cold butter until it gets crumbly. I just used my hands for this.
  5. Stir in the sugars and sprinkle evenly over the fruit. Bake for 20 minutes or so, until it's bubbly and the topping is golden.
  6. Let it cool a bit before serving, the filling is extremely hot when it comes out.

Comments

  1. I have never cooked with rhubarb -I need to though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great dessert...if I only liked rhubarb. Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made rhubarb.. This looks delicious. I'll have to try it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family and I just went rhubarb picking this weekend and now I think I know what I am going to be doing with some of it! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I never thought to combine apples & rhubarb! Totally trying this with my surplus of rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious I am going to try it out.. Though i have never made rhubarb..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennifer,
    I really love this combination of the Rhubarb and Apple for this yummy Crumble. Hope you are having a great week.
    Miz Helen
    Group B SRC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, sounds delicious. LOL at your magic color changing rhubarb :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Looks amazing. I just made a rhubarb strawberry pie the other day and it was yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great way to use rhubarb. Makes me want to find some rhubarb! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts