Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Cardamom Tea Cakes



Who likes cardamom? We do! We use it in Yazdi Cupcakes and it’s also in our tea. If you can’t find tea already flavoured with cardamom, just drop a few pods in to brew with your loose tea. Crack the pods or poke them with a knife to get some of the flavour out.

When I saw this recipe for Cardamom Tea Cakes on Melissa’s blog, Smells Like Brownies, I knew I had to try it. 

I cut the recipe in half because the more sweets I make, the more sweets I eat. I also added rosewater because I really like the flavour of the Yazdi Cupcakes and thought it might be nice in these tea cakes as well. Mine didn't look like Melissa's, but they were delicious. My husband asked me why I didn't make more. 

My first batch was a bit crumbly. I chilled the dough first.
I also forgot to dip them in sugar.

Cardamom pods.

Cardamom tea.


Here's my second batch. I used the whole egg the second time.
The texture was less crumbly and more cakey.
I didn't chill the dough this time, and I remember to dip them in sugar.

Cardamom Tea Cakes
Adapted from Smells Like Brownies
Makes 20 Tea Cakes

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg yolk, room temperature (1 whole egg works too)
  • 1/2 teaspoon rosewater
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • extra sugar for dipping
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and 1/3 cup of sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes). Scrape the bowl now and then during mixing.
  2. Beat in the egg yolk, rosewater, cardamom, and baking soda and continue to mix until combined. Now stir in the flour. I switched to a wooden spoon here because I like to make things harder than they need to be. Actually, I just don’t like adding flour using an electric mixer, because it ends up all over my kitchen and then I have to clean it up.
  3. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour, or until firm.Or don't chill it. It works either way.
  4. Preheat oven to 350F. I like to use a silicone liner or some parchment on my cookie sheets.
  5. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and place them on the cookie sheet. I was able to scoop the un-chilled dough with my small cookie scoop, the chilled dough was too firm.
  6. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges and bottom start to turn golden.
  7. Cool the tea cakes on the cookie sheet for 1 minute before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Once cool, dip the tops into the extra sugar. You could also dust them with powdered sugar, but your kids will make a mess on your rug and furniture. I prefer to find money between the cushions.
  8. I bet these would be nice with some raisins. Maybe next time!

Comments

  1. I love cardamom. What a great cookie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing the cardamon pod I had no idea what it looked like. great src recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cardamom is such a wonderful flavor. These must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting cookie...I love cardamom...when I was in India, the first cup of chai I had was made with cardamom...I have been a lover of cardamom ever since. Your cookies look great to me!! Three cookies + one cup of tea = a very nice afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer,
    I just love the Cardamon flavor these Tea Cakes will be delicious. Great cooking with you in Group B!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, a cookie flavor I've never tried. gotta get on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look like such a delicious and sweet treat - and with the great cardamom flavor, I bet it was amazing. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me with the cardamom and rose water! These cakes look devine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cardamom's such a great flavor, especially in teas. Why not put it in tea cakes too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made something with cardamom this month, too! I just love the flavor. We are spice buddies - LOL! These sound wonderful- perfect to go with tea. Love your SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny, they look great! Now I want to go whip up another batch... (and great idea to halve the recipe! I, too, tend to eat whatever desserts are around...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts