Friday, February 8, 2013

Apple Cinnamon Cake

I adapted this from an apple brownie recipe on Allrecipes. I decided to call it a cake because I wouldn't really describe the texture as brownie-like. I cut back the apples by 1 and used brown sugar instead of white. It was delicious! It doesn't rise like a cake, and it looks like a brownie, but it's not a brownie in my opinion.

I read some of the reviews on Allrecipes and some people said it took longer than 35 minutes. I guess if you like them extra crispy and charred, go for it. Otherwise, 35 minutes it is.








Apple Cinnamon Cake
16 Servings

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350F and grease an 8x8 pan.

Whisk melted butter with brown sugar and the egg until fluffy. This won't even take a minute.

Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir with a rubber spatula until well combined. It'll be a bit thick.

Stir in the apples and walnuts. It looks like a lot of apple right? Imagine adding 3 like the original recipe said? It might be a bit much. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool before cutting into 16 squares.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! This looks delicious! I would also use apple sauce instead of some of the butter to save a couple of calories...

    ReplyDelete