Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Buttermilk Pancakes

I originally bought buttermilk to make Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits for Christmas but they don't come any smaller than in 500ml cartons here. You don't need that much for a single recipe of biscuits, so I decided to make some buttermilk pancakes a few days later. I took my favourite Fluffy Pancake recipe and changed it up a bit.

Then I found a Christmas pancake pan for $2.44 at an end of season clearance sale. Next time I make pancakes I'll use my new toy. So what if Christmas is still a year away! To me, every day is Christmas!




Buttermilk Pancakes

Makes about 10 pancakes

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
  • more butter or cooking spray for frying
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients with a whisk. Make a well in the centre and add the buttermilk, eggs and butter then whisk until well combined. It's okay if it's a bit lumpy.
  2. Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Brush the pan with some butter. Drop 3 or 4 pancakes into the pan. I use about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake but you can make them bigger if you like.
  3. Cook for a few minutes until bubbles appear on the surface, flip and continue to cook for another minute or two until the second side is golden. Set aside and repeat until all the batter is done. If you're making a larger batch, heat the oven to 200F and keep a plate in the oven. Transfer the cooked pancakes to the plate until you're ready to eat.
  4. Drizzle with your favourite syrup or fresh fruit.

Comments

  1. Isn't that always the way. You buy buttermilk for a recipe and then it sits until you can find another use for it. Fortunately, I love baking with it. I use it in my banana bread. I tried a buttermilk powder, but I didn't like the result as much as the real thing.

    These looks delicious and the Christmas pan is the cutest thing. I've never come across one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts