Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sugar Plums

I know I haven't been blogging much. I've been busy with Christmas stuff, but now that's all over for another year so maybe I can get caught up. I do have to start concentrating on my diet again in the new year though. In the meantime, enjoy this recipe for sugar plums!

This is probably one of the easiest recipes you'll every make, and a nice little sweet to go with your tea. All they really are is dried fruit and nuts. What do you think? Is this a healthier alternative to other sweets? Let's see. I've run the recipe through Spark People just for fun. This is the calculation for 1 sugar plum.

Calories 76.7 | Total Fat 3.3 g | Saturated Fat 0.3 g | Polyunsaturated Fat 2.3 g | Monounsaturated Fat 0.4 g | Cholesterol 0.0 mg | Sodium 0.6 mg | Potassium 124.5 mg | Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g | Dietary Fiber 1.4 g | Sugars 10.0 g | Protein 1.1 g

Oh, and I forgot to buy allspice, but the recipe called for 1/4 teaspoon so you can add it if you want.




Sugar Plums
Adapted from Savory Moments
Makes 25

Ingredients
1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
1 cup pitted and chopped dates
1/2 cup pitted and chopped prunes
1/2 cup pitted and chopped dried apricots
zest of 1 orange
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
pinch of fine sea salt
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup sugar (I used turbinado)

Directions
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it kind of turns into a ball.

I used my small cookie scoop, and then rolled the balls between my hands before rolling them in sugar.

I made mine a few days before Christmas and stored them in the fridge, although I'm not sure refrigeration is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment