Friday, December 7, 2012

Soft Sugar Cookies

Apparently the Crazy Cooking Challenge has ended, but I must have missed that bit of information somehow. That's a shame. I really enjoyed participating every month. This month we were scheduled to make sugar cookies, so I did.

If you like sugar cookies, then you'll probably like these. Even though I added some nutmeg to the recipe, I still found them a little blah. Every year I make a batch of rolled sugar cookies for the kids to decorate, but I always put them on the cookie trays I'm giving away so I don't have to eat them! They really look pretty, but I'd rather have something more decadent. So here you go, a recipe for soft sugar cookies, that taste like sugar cookies! I adapted this recipe from Allrecipes.





Soft Sugar Cookies
Makes 48 cookies

Ingredients
2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
extra sugar for rolling

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment.

Combine flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.

Combine the butter and sugar in a mixer and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix for another minute. Then I added the dry ingredients all at once and mixed just until combined. Remember to scrape down the bowl now and then.

Take walnut sizes scoops of dough and roll them into balls. Roll the balls in sugar and place them on the baking sheet about 2" apart. Flatten the balls just a little with your hand.

Bake for 12 minutes or until they start to turn golden around the edges.

Let the cookies cool for a minute on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire wrack.



1 comment:

  1. Soft and chewy sugar cookies are the very best! Yours look great....I wish I would have been able to participate this month but I am out of town visiting my four month old granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete