Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

My Mom's Traditional Bread Stuffing

We usually eat turkey twice a year in my family - Thanksgiving and Christmas, of course. 

Well, here in Canada we've already celebrated our thanksgiving (in October), and my mom has informed me that she won't be making a turkey for Christmas this year. WHAT??? She said that she wants to try stuffing chicken breasts instead since they'll cook faster. The turkey always takes the longest and we end up eating really late because of it. But phew, for a second I thought she wasn't going to give us stuffing. She will, it'll just be inside the chicken instead of the turkey.

My mom has always made the same stuffing and I love it. Lots of sage in there. I guess the flavour is a bit strong for some people, but not for me. Bring it on! One thing about my mom is that she prefers to use dried herbs, but you could always use fresh if you like. She also uses water, but I would say chicken stock would be even better!

You may need to make more or less depending on the size of your bird. This amount will stuff a 15-20lb turkey. I think that's what we usually get. Below are some pictures from Thanksgiving.

And don't forget to eat your veggies, too!

I like the part of the stuffing that's sticking out of the turkey. It gets nice and crispy.


My Mom's Traditional Bread Stuffing
Makes 8-10 Side Servings

Ingredients
  • 10 slices white bread
  • 3 celery stalks, diced
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon dried sage (or more)
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • salt
  • pepper
  • water or chicken stock
Directions
  1. You can let your bread dry out for a few days before the big event, or toast it on 300F oven for 15-20 minutes until its dry, but you don't need to get it too brown. Definitely try not to burn it! Once dry/toasted, break it into bite size pieces and set aside.
  2. Over medium heat, fry the celery and onions in butter for about 8 minutes or until softened. Stir in all the spices and cook for another minute. Now, stir in the bread.
  3. A little at a time, start adding the water or stock. You want it to come together, but not to be really gloopy because it'll continue to absorb liquid once it's in the bird in the oven. Allow your stuffing to cool completely before stuffing your turkey. You can also place the stuffing in a casserole dish and cook it on the side for 20-30 minutes. But you'll need to add more liquid or it may be too dry.

Comments

  1. Love your pictures : ). The stuffing sounds great - I'm a traditionalist and this one sounds perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. There isn't anything better than a traditional stuffing! I wonder way we only make something so good once or twice a year!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom's dressing was always heavy on the sage too; great for Thanksgiving. Great choice for the CCC.

    #4

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very close to the stuffing I grew up with, and continue to make. I like the use of the rosemary. Sounds so good! it looks like you had quite a feast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful color on that plate! The stuffing sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your buffet! Represents family. This sounds like my mom's stuffing, except it was ALL butter! That turkey looks fantastic. I like the crispy part of the stuffing that sticks out too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts