Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Creamy Clam Chowder with Corn

I love clam chowder don't you?! I had some corn on the cob in the fridge that we weren't eating so the best thing to do with it is put it in your soup! And today was freezing here! I went to work in the morning and it was nice. I didn't even think to bring a sweater. But when I left I felt like I was walking through a freezer. I'll remember that for tomorrow when it's only supposed to go up to 16C. Burrr. Summer is definitely over!

You could eat this as a meal with some toast or you could serve it as a smaller portion. I would have eaten the whole pot, to tell you the truth, but my family wanted some so I had to share.

I always keep bacon in the freezer. I rarely cook bacon at home because it's such a mess. Cooking it in the oven is better than on the stove, but still, I prefer to eat it it occasionally at a restaurant. The reason I keep it in the freezer is for making soup. It cuts really easily even when it's frozen. Just cut off a chunk and dice it or divide the strips into 3s before freezing.




Creamy Clam Chowder with Corn
4 Servings | PointsPlus per Serving: 7
6 Servings | PointsPlus per Serving: 5

Ingredients
3 slices bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
corn from 1 cob (about 1/3 cup)
1 142g can of baby clams, keep the juice
1 236ml bottle of clam juice
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups 2% milk
1/4 cup flour
fresh parsley

Directions
In a nonstick pot, cook the bacon and onions over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until they turn golden.

Stir in the potato and corn and cook for another 3 minutes.

Add the juice from the clams along with the bottle of clam juice and spices to the pot. Set the actual clams aside for now. Stir it up then add 2 cups of the milk.

Simmer the soup for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.

Mix the other 1/2 cup of milk with the flour until there are no lumps. Add this mixture to the pot. I strain it in. Stir it up and let it simmer for another 2 or 3 minutes, or until it thickens.

Sprinkle on some parsley at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment