Monday, August 6, 2012

Margarita Pizza with Fresh Basil and Tomatoes

I can’t remember when the last time I had pizza was! Then on Wednesday when I arrived home from work, the new issue of Canadian Living magazine was waiting for me. It had pizza on the cover! The same day Hearty Appletite saying that she had there was a similar recipe posted on Hearty Appletite. So I went to check it out of course! It’s a recipe for Margarita Pizza. I cut the recipe in half and rolled the dough really thin in order to save points. I used a storebought pizza sauce because I was too lazy to make my own, and the cheese I used was an italian blend. I pinned a recipe recently for mozzarella from Hearts, Hands, Home. There was some debate within the comments from Italians and non-Italians about this recipe. The Italians were saying that it wasn't real mozzarella. Well it looks good to me and I'm going to make it one day, real mozzarella or not.

My crust turned out to be thin and crispy. I don't think it was supposed to be that way. Either I didn't add enough water to the dough, or I rolled it too thin. But it was delicious anyway, just like a cracker almost. I also added red onion because I like them on pizza.
The PointsPlus calculation below is for the Margarita Pizza. I built the recipe in the WW recipe calculator as though I was going to divide the dough in 6, and make 6 Margarita Pizzas. Then I changed the servings to 8 to see what it would work out to. I’ve included both calculations below. Adding other toppings will change the value. Unless you’re adding 0 PointsPlus vegetables that is.






Margarita Pizza with Fresh Basil and Tomatoes
6 Servings | PointsPlus per Serving: 8
8 Servings | PointsPlus per Serving: 6

Ingredients
Dough
2 cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon yeast
¾ cup water, room temperature
Toppings
6-8 tablespoons pizza sauce
2 cups grated Kraft Italian Blend (or other grated cheese)
2 large tomatoes, sliced
½ cup fresh basil leaves
thinly sliced red onion

Directions
Let’s start with the dough. Simply mix all the ingredients together and let it rest for 30 minutes. I covered it with a piece of plastic wrap.

Now, preheat the oven to 425F and place the rack on the bottom (as suggested by Sandra). Line some baking sheets with parchment or silicone liners.

Cut the dough into 6 or 8 pieces depending on how many pizzas you want to make. Lightly flour the counter and the top of each piece and start rolling to your desired thickness (or thinness). Place the dough circles on the lined sheets and spread some sauce on top. Divide half of the cheese over the pizzas, followed by the basil and tomatoes (and onions), and finally the second half of the cheese. It's not as much cheese as I'd normally use but Weight Watchers has me eating differently these days.

Bake the pizzas for 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Does pizza get any easier? I don’t think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment