Friday, July 27, 2012

Marinated Feta with Olives and Sun-dried Tomatoes

One of my favourite breakfasts is marinated cheese with bread. I like bocconcini too, but feta is my first choice. I used to stop off in the morning and pick up a fresh bun or croissant, and some marinated cheese from Real Canadian Superstore (a grocery chain we have here). They have a small antipasto bar (near the bakery) with olives, marinated cheeses and a few other things. Next time I go there, I’ll try to get a picture of it. Their bocconcini is also marinated and is mixed with roasted red peppers. Their versions are swimming in oil but are SO delicious. I would eat it every day if I could. I’ll have to try and come up with a bocconcini and roasted red pepper recipe too, but first, the feta!

But now that I’m on Weight Watchers, having a buttery croissant and cheese dripping with oil every morning is not really an option (except maybe occasionally). So what’s a girl to do? Give up her favourite breakfast? No way! I came up with own version instead. Superstore has slices of pepperoncini in theirs, which I didn’t have at home, but I’m going to keep making this breakfast using different ingredients. The one I made for breakfast today had sun-dried tomatoes and olives. Yummy! I loved my breakfast today!

We get the oregano from a specialty Greek store. The flavour is different from the one you pick up in the grocery store. I use the grocery store variety for Italian cooking, and the Greek one for everything else, especially salads or anything that’s not going to be cooked.

This was the last of my feta so tonight I’m going to try marinating some mozzarella for tomorrow’s breakfast. I’m not sure what I’ll be putting in to it yet.



Marinated Feta with Olives and Sun-dried Tomatoes
1 Serving | PointsPlus per Serving: 6

Ingredients
2oz feta cheese, cubed (I used regular, but you can use light)
1 piece sundried tomato, packed in oil, drained and chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
5 olives, sliced (I didn’t have kalamata so I used Manzanilla)
½ teaspoon Greek oregano
1 teaspoon olive oil
Squeeze of lemon juice (about 1 teaspoon)
Black pepper

Directions
Mix all ingredients gently together in a bowl and allow to marinate for several hours or over night. Serve with bread (don’t forget to add points for it depending on which kind you choose). I used pita today.

Check out these other wonderful recipes using Feta Cheese!




No comments:

Post a Comment