Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chicken Marinades

There’s a supplier around here that provides chicken for restaurants. It’s cheaper and somehow has a better flavour. When I say around here, I mean it’s not too far, but it’s not close enough that I want to go there regularly. And I don’t have a chest freezer so I can only buy so much at a time.

Last week I was at Costco so I bought a bunch of chicken from there this time. I decided to marinate it before freezing. I got a pack of boneless, skinless breasts and a pack of boneless, skinless thighs. The thighs are for the kids since they’re not picky. I don’t mind it usually, but I’d rather use the extra PointsPlus for something else. I don’t have the patience to stand there de-boning chicken. It takes up too much of my time, but I suppose if you wanted to save a bit of money you could do that. I also removed the tenders from the breasts and froze them separately to use as chicken fingers.

I re-pinned a few items similar to what I’ve done here, but I haven’t had time to visit the sites yet. I’m sure they have some fabulous recipes, and I will try to look at them this week.

To make these marinades, I lined up a few bowls on the counter and starting putting stuff in. I can’t give you measurements because I didn’t measure anything, but I CAN tell you what’s in each one. I didn’t add oil to any of them to save fat and points. You can just oil your grill a little if you want. And if any of them seem a bit thick, add a little bit of chicken stock to thin them out.

As far as the PointsPlus values go, I’m just going to calculate how many ounces of chicken I’ll be consuming. You don’t really eat the marinades so how could they really count? And anyway, most of the ingredients (except maybe the honey or teriyaki sauce) don’t even count.

Just line the bowls up and start putting things in. I ended up making 7 flavours in the end.

Store them in bags with the flavour written on them. The bag at the top was a second bag of teriyaki which we grilled that day.

Teriyaki
Bottled Teriyaki sauce from Teriyaki Experience.
Yes, I cheated here but I don’t think any teriyaki sauce I make myself could taste as good as theirs. Use whatever brand you like or make your own.

Greek
Greek oregano
Fresh lemon juice
Onion powder
Paprika
Salt
Pepper
Crushed fresh garlic
A splash of soy sauce

Honey Mustard
Honey
Dijon mustard
Yellow mustard
Salt
Pepper
Splash of chicken stock

Southwest
Fresh lime juice
Tex-Mex seasoning blend

Chili Lime
Chili powder
Ground cumin
Fresh lime juice
Crushed fresh garlic
Onion powder
Salt
Pepper

Lemon Saffron
Saffron
Turmeric
Fresh lemon juice
Crushed fresh garlic
Onion powder
Salt
Pepper

Tandoori
Fresh lemon juice
Crushed fresh garlic
Grated fresh ginger
Onion powder
Chili powder
Ground cumin
Tandoori Masala
Salt
Pepper

Here are some pins for your viewing pleasure.





No comments:

Post a Comment