Friday, June 29, 2012

Shrimp Creole

Here's another recipe I found on Weight Watchers. Regular paprika will work just fine in this recipe if you don't want it to be spicy. Add 1 teaspoon of that in place of the hot paprika or chili powder.

I had some tomatoes in the fridge that were getting soft so I used those instead of canned tomatoes. I removed the seeds so it wouldn't add to much extra liquid to my dish.

I was using the Nutritional Calculator from Calorie Count but after entering this recipe, I realized that it wasn't very accurate. It told me that 1/2 cup of rice was about 380 calories. So now I'm using the one from Spark People. It takes a little more effort to select one ingredient at a time, but it's worth it if the result is a more accurate calculation.


I used 1 bag of frozen, thawed shrimp.
I think it had 16 shrimp in it, and that wasn't enough for 4 servings,
so I'm going to say 20 shrimp in the recipe below. 5 shrimp per serving.
But if you're not on Weight Watchers, I'm sure you could add more.
There's plenty of sauce.

You can see some of the clumps of flour. That's okay, it'll melt into the sauce.

Don't forget to remove that bay leaf before serving.



4 servings (1/2 cup rice, 5 shrimp and 1/4 of the sauce)
(Per serving : 5 PointsPlus / 210.5 Calories)

Ingredients
4 teaspoons I Can't Believe it's Not Butter (or whatever you like)
1 tablespoon flour
1 medium onion, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
1/2 a red pepper, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon hot paprika (or 1/4 teaspoon smoked chili powder)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup red wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes, seeded
20 uncooked shrimps, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
2 cups steamed basmati rice

Directions
In a nonstick pan, heat the butter and flour. Stir it up into a paste and cook it for about 3 minutes or until it starts to brown a little. Stir in the vegetables and cook another 3 minutes until they get soft. Stir in the spices and bay leaf.

Add the stock, wine, tomato paste and tomatoes and stir until combined. Let this simmer on medium high for about 10 minutes or until some of the liquid is absorbed and the sauce starts to thicken.

Stir in the shrimp and let them cook for 3 or 4 minutes or until they're pink, then stir in the lemon juice and parsley before serving. Serve over rice.

Tools I used to calculate nutritional information/points:
The recipe analysis tool from Spark People and the
Weight Watchers points calculator.

No comments:

Post a Comment