Thursday, June 7, 2012

Jasmine Rice with Peas and Shrimp

This was actually my first time buying Jasmine rice. I ran out of Basmati and I only like to buy a certain brand (which is only available in certain stores), so I had to pick up something else from the grocery store. This rice was on sale so I figured it was the perfect time to try it out. The flavour of the rice is very nice. The kids seemed to like it too.

I had to get a vegetable in there so I put some frozen peas in the pot with the rice and it worked out well. Salt & pepper in the rice is optional. I didn't use either. The bouillon may be salty enough. Taste it.

I removed the shell and tail from my shrimp, but I suppose you could leave them on if you wish. I just didn't want my littlest one to eat them.



3-4 servings

Ingredients
1 cup Jasmine rice
1 3/4 cups cold water
1 cup frozen peas
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
pinch of saffron, crushed
8-10 medium (uncooked) shrimp per person
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
oil or cooking spray for frying shrimp

Directions
In a medium pot, stir together the rice, water, peas, butter, bouillon and saffron. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and put the lid on. Cook for about 8 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. You may want to stir it a few times during cooking. Remove from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes with the lid on while you prepare the shrimp.

Place a little oil into a nonstick pan over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, place the shrimp into it and sprinkle with the Old Bay. Cook the shrimp just for a minute or two then flip them over. Cook them for another minute just until they turn pink. Serve over rice.

Tip: Change it up a bit by stirring some chopped green onions into the rice just before serving.

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect dish for a little summer lunch, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete