Saturday, June 30, 2012

Blueberry Almond Bundt Cake

I love bundt cakes. For some reason I just really enjoy using my bundt pan over any other cake pan. I still have some blueberries in the freezer from a few weeks ago and we're going to visit my mother-in-law tomorrow, so I wanted to bring something.

You can purchase ground almonds but I just threw some whole ones (with skin) into my magic bullet and made my own.

I used apple sauce to cut back on the fat (and Weight Watchers points), but I assure you, this cake tastes just as delicious as it would if you used butter! If I wanted to cut even more points, I might try using all egg whites. Maybe next time since I ran out of the liquid ones and don't like to waste yolks.







12 servings
(Per serving with glaze : 5 PointsPlus / 200 Calories)
(Per serving without glaze : 4  PointsPlus / 160 Calories)

Ingredients
Cake
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup apple sauce
3 large eggs
2/3 cup ground almonds
1 cup frozen blueberries
Glaze (optional)
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
milk

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325F. Spray and flour your bundt pan.

Combine flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl with a whisk.

Combine almond extract, apple sauce and eggs in a bowl then stir into your dry mixture with a rubber spatula. Stir in the almonds followed by the blueberries.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the glaze; combine confectioners' sugar with almond extract and 1/2 a teaspoon of milk. Add a few drops of milk at a time after that until you achieve the desired consistency. Drizzle over the cake.

Tools I used to calculate nutritional information/points:
The recipe analysis tool from Spark People and the
Weight Watchers points calculator.

No comments:

Post a Comment