Monday, May 21, 2012

Layered Mango, Strawberry and Banana Smoothie

I thought this layered smoothie looked like fun! My mangoes were a little sour though. Try to find sweet mangoes or you could even use frozen ones. I added some honey to sweeten it up. If your mangoes are sweet, omit the honey from the recipe.

I used coconut flavoured almond milk in this recipe even though it called for coconut milk (which I don't have).

Omit the honey to make this vegan.



2-3 servings (or 1 really big one)

Ingredients
Bottom Layer
1 ripe mango
1/2 an orange, peeled
1/2 cup almond milk (or coconut milk)
1 tablespoon honey (maple syrup for vegans)
Top Layer
1 medium banana, peeled
1 cup strawberries, hulled
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 cup almond milk (or coconut milk)

Directions
In a blender (or Magic Bullet), puree the bottom layer ingredients until smooth. Divide among 2 glasses.

In the same blender, puree the top layer ingredients until smooth. Use a spoon and place the top layer gently into the glass. If you pour it, the layers will mix.

It's that simple! Serve cold.

Tip: If you wanted a more slushy texture, freeze your fruit first. Strawberries and mangoes come already frozen. I've never seen frozen bananas in my stores, but I suppose it's possible. I just slice and freeze my own.

Adapted from Incredible Smoothies.

No comments:

Post a Comment