Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Thai Red Curry SPICY!

Wow, this red curry paste I bought was very spicy. I think if you served this curry with rice it would tone it down a bit but I'm trying not to eat too much rice so I'll try it with yogurt tomorrow for lunch. I tasted it tonight after I made it and I can't tell if it was the heat or the HEAT that burned my tongue.

I didn't have lime leaves so I used cilantro (which I picked up by accident thinking it was parsley). I'm growing to like it I suppose. It was never my favourite herb but it seems to work really well with this curry. It was also my first time using fish sauce. It stinks! But you can't tell it's in there. Kinda like anchovies in your Caesar salad. Also, I had beansprouts which I was going to use in a Chinese stir fry this weekend but I forgot to put them in so I went and used them in this recipe otherwise they would have ended up in the trash.
  


2 servings

Ingredients
1 teaspoon canola oil
2 teaspoons red curry paste
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup snow peas, cut into pieces
1/2 cup carrots, cut into pieces
1/4 cup water
2 cups beansprouts
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
200ml (6-7oz) coconut milk
4-5 oz chopped cooked chicken breast
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Directions
In a large pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Cook the curry paste in the oil for just a minute stirring constantly.

Add the mushrooms, snow peas and carrots and stir to coat with the curry paste. Stir in the water and cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally until they soften a bit.

Add the beansprouts and stir. Sprinkle the sugar on top followed by the fish sauce and coconut milk. Stir well. Add the chicken (mine was leftover grilled) and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens slightly and the chicken is heated through.

Stir in cilantro before serving.

Adapted from RASAMALAYSIA.

1 comment:

  1. This is a post I did about 2 very good Thai cookbooks http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/cook-books-spirit-house.html

    ReplyDelete