Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Hot Chocolate on a Stick - Fudge Balls

I'm excited about this one because it's all about fudge!

Nothing says winter like hot chocolate! And how about hot chocolate on a stick? I altered the recipe a bit. I had heavy cream left from another recipe, but when I went to make the fudge I realised it had expired a few days earlier, so I used milk instead. My can of condensed milk was 12oz rather than the 14oz called for in the recipe, so I tried to adjust the other ingredients.

I'm not sure if it's because I used milk or I didn't add enough chocolate, but my fudge turned out a bit softer than I would have liked. It just wasn't possible to cut it into squares even after refrigerating overnight. But I wasn't going to toss it! Oh no no no .... save the fudge! I pulled out my small cookie scoop and rolled it into balls. Then I coated it in cinnamon sugar and topped it with a mini marshmallow. Yum yum! Hey, I bet you could even coat these in chocolate, cocoa or sprinkles and call them truffles! But we're doing fudge today so we're calling them fudge balls! 

Now, if you want, you can get the recipe for homemade marshmallows from the same blog where I found the fudge recipe. I decided to cheat and use the store-bought minis. I found this recipe on make & takes. I absolutely love the way Jane packaged her fudge in cellophane tied with red ribbon, then placed them into white paper bags with a snowman on the front.




Hot Chocolate on a Stick - Fudge Balls
Makes about 40 fudge balls

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup 2% milk
  • 12 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 4oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • about 40 marshmallows
  • Sticks (you can use skewers, toothpicks, lollipop sticks, coffee stir sticks etc.)
Directions
  1. Over medium heat, cook milk, condensed milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a pot just until it starts steaming.
  2. Stir in chocolate and let it sit for 10 minutes then return to the stove, on low heat, and cook for a few minutes until it turns shiny.
  3. Spread into a parchment lined (and lightly greased) dish and chill for several hours or overnight. This is what I did when I thought I was going to cut it into squares. But since it won't cut into squares because it's too soft, just go ahead and put it in a bowl and refrigerate it like that. 
  4. Mix the cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.
  5. Using a small cookie scoop (or a teaspoon) take some of the fudge and roll it between your hands into little balls. Coat the balls in cinnamon sugar. Put the marshmallow on a stick and put it on top of the fudge ball. Place them in little paper candy liners and store in the refrigerator.
Tips:
  • If you want a stronger cinnamon flavour, you could try adding some cinnamon extract.

Comments

  1. What a great way to save the recipe! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so creative! I like the addition of cinnamon--like Mexican hot chocolate :) I've got orange ginger fudge in my "kitchen"! Come on over! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? This is a great idea! Love the thought of hot chocolate fudge. I think maybe adding more chocolate would remedy the softness, but great thinking on your feet!
    Peanut Butter Fudge 

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are these?! I love the sound of the flavor combination. I pinned them so I can make these. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty!! I would love seeing these on a holiday party table! I'd love it if you stopped by and checked out my microwave fudge recipe! (#55)

    -Krystal @ recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fudge balls are cute........andi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute, my daughter would love these! I'm also your newest follower.

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/2011/12/chocolate-butterscotch-fudge-crazy.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat change from regular fudge. They look totally cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea! Love it! Glad to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! You are so smart and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute. Great pick for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so creative and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good save! I like the idea of rolling it and maybe turning it into a truffle - sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love what you've done with these. They look great on sticks. Perfect for Christmas parties.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job saving the fudge! Don't you love it when you get a good idea, like putting this on a stick, instead of getting frustrated and throwing it out? Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts