Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lentil Stew Recipe

I adapted this from what was originally a Weight Watchers lentil soup recipe, but it turned out to be thick so I'm going to call it a stew. I thought the raisins were interesting but I knew raisins and lentils would be good together because I like Adas Polow which also has lentils and raisins in it! Even my 4 year old loved this! Use veggie broth to make this vegan.






4 servings

Ingredients
1 medium shallot, finely diced  
1 teaspoon cumin seeds    
1 teaspoon olive oil  
1 medium tomato, diced  
1 cups dry green lentils, rinsed
5 cups low sodium chicken broth    
1 teaspoon salt  
3/4 cup raisins  
1 teaspoon dried mint leaves, crushed
juice of 1 lime


Directions
In a nonstick pot, sautee shallot and cumin seeds over medium heat until the shallots are slightly brown and the cumin is toasted. Add the tomato and lentils and stir to combine. Add all other ingredients except lime juice and simmer over medium heat until lentils are soft (20-30 minutes). If the liquid runs out before the lentils are cooked, you can add more. I like them with a bit of texture so I don't cook them until their mush, but it's up to you. Squeeze on some lime juice before serving.

Serve with a nice salad.

Tip: Make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth!

WW Points Plus Value Per Serving: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment