Sunday, February 6, 2011

Spicy Vegan Potato Curry

This tastes almost like the inside of a samosa. Yummy!

4 servings

Ingredients
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
3/4 cup unsalted almonds
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper or to taste
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned or fresh diced tomatoes
1 cup garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed

Directions
Boil potatoes in salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

In a blender, puree almonds and water. If there are a few chunks of nut left it's okay.

In a nonstick pan, sautee onions and garlic in oil until lightly browned. Stir in ginger and spices and cook just for a few seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a thick sauce forms. Serve with plain yogurt and pita or naan.

Tip: The original recipe called for 1 can of coconut milk and I was going to make some using flaked coconut blended with water, but when I went to make it I found that I was out of coconut. My next option was to blend nuts with water to make a nut milk. I had almonds so I used them. You could use other nuts. Cashews would be nice. If you have a can of coconut milk, feel free to use it. I also changed some of the measurement of spices to suit my tastes and used frozen instead of canned peas because that's what I had on hand.

Original Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Vegan-Potato-Curry/Detail.aspx

- spicy vegan potato curry -

No comments:

Post a Comment