Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Banana Orange Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting

I took my favourite Banana Bread recipe and twisted it up again to create these delicious banana orange cupcakes with orange cinnamon frosting.

I wanted to make something for my sister-in-law and brother-in-law who are visiting from Virginia Beach. We ate them just after they were cooled and frosted but I think they'd be even better the next day. I always like banana bread better after it's had a chance to sit around for several hours. I forgot to add the baking powder to this batch but I've included it in the recipe below. They should be slightly puffier.


Banana Orange Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting
Makes 12 cupcakes

Ingredients
For the Cake
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
  • 1/4 cup unflavoured oil
  • 1/4 cup 2% milk (or buttermilk)
  • Juice of 1/2 a large orange (1/4 cup maybe)
  • 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Frosting
  • 1/2 cup shortening, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar (or more)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
  2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and orange zest in a large bowl. I whisked them together in the bowl, then make a well in the centre.
  3. Combine the oil, milk, orange juice, mashed banana, egg and vanilla with a fork until well combined.
  4. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix just until combined.
  5. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely before frosting.
  6. To make the frosting; combine all ingredients, except for confectioners' sugar, in a large bowl and beat on medium speed until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat again until fluffy. If it doesn't seem stiff enough you can add more sugar. Frost the cooled cupcakes.

Comments

  1. Hi! Those cupcakes look super yummy. I awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award. Head on over to my blog to claim it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these today! Thanks for posting! The flavors are great! I love the orange with the banana. However, the batter was too soupy and mine were flat as well. I added both the baking soda and baking powder. Needs more flour, probably 1-1/2 cups, maybe 2 cups. Thanks for the delicious recipe, but you might need to test it and update it a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. My banana bread recipe calls for more flour and I've made it a hundred times with no problem. I'll update the amount of flour in the recipe. Sorry your batch didn't work out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts