Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Irish Soda Bread

With St. Patrick's Day coming up in a few days, I thought it would be nice to finally try making Irish Soda Bread. I wasn't sure what to expect at first, but when I took it out of the oven it looked like a giant biscuit! How exciting is that?! Who doesn't love biscuits?

It was really good! It had a bit of sweetness coming from the sugar in the recipe so we put butter and jam on it. It would also be nice with raisins as I see a lot of recipes for Irish soda bread have raisins in them. I think it would also be nice with cheddar in it, but then I don't know how Irish it would be.

Whatever you decide to do with it, you should definitely give this recipe a try. It comes together in minutes, but takes quite a while to bake up, and you need to let it cool before you cut into it or bad things will happen.






Irish Soda Bread
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
12 servings (1 loaf)

Ingredients
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 325F and lightly grease a loaf pan (I also used a piece of parchment just in case).
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
  3. Beat together the egg and buttermilk, then add all at once to the flour. Stir just until combined. Finally, stir in the butter.
  4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. It looks full doesn't it? I thought it would overflow so I put a piece of foil under the pan. It did rise, but it didn't go over the edges.
  5. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. I checked it after 1 hour and it was still wet inside so I let it go for another 15 and it was perfect.
  6. Let your bread cool for 15 minutes in he pan and then tip it out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Apparently it tastes better if you let it rest for several hours or overnight, but I don't have that kind of patience, do you?
  7. Serve it with butter and jam, or add raisins to the batter before baking.

Comments

Popular Posts