Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

I Love Autumn

Soon it'll be all about the apples and pumpkins! I absolutely love to visit the farms with my kids. We pick our own fruits and veggies when we can, and sometimes we just go to play among the pumpkins and corn mazes. 

This weekend we visited two farms. Yesterday we went mostly to visit the animals and Forsythe Family Farms in Markham (Ontario). We missed the wagon ride and there was nothing to pick there, so we just visited with the animals, let the kids play for a bit and left with some homemade butter tarts from the market.

The kids are checking out the animals at Forsythe.

Today we went to Andrew's Scenic Acres (Milton/Halton Hills) which is one of my favourites. My older daughter turned 4 last week and started Junior Kindergarten. She has to take a snack to school so I thought a nice apple would be just the thing, and she could go to school and tell her friends that she picked it herself. Although there wasn't much to pick today, we managed to find about 15 good apples. We sampled some of the concord grapes straight from the vine, and the raw sunflower seeds were good too. Yum! We didn't make it to the raspberries because the kids were getting a bit cranky. They were getting hungry for lunch.

Yummy Concord grapes.

Sunflower.

The raw seeds.

This child is happy as long as she has food in her hands.
 
After we picked our apples, we headed for the hot dogs and fresh sweet corn. At just $1.50 a cob, you can't go wrong!

While we were eating, we sat and waited for the wagon to come around. When it arrived we hopped on and went for a ride. We passed by the raspberry bush but didn't get off the wagon. We kept going past the pumpkin patch, and in the distance we saw the beautiful flower garden. Yes, you can pick flowers at Andrew's too! At this point my memory card was full. I was too slow inserting a new card so wasn't able to get a photo of the flowers from the wagon.

Here are the kids waiting for the wagon to arrive.

Here we are on the wagon. My eye looks weird.

Pumpkin Patch. They're not quite ready yet.

I love the layers of petals on this.

The sunflowers were beautiful.

Once the ride was over, the kids went for a pony ride, visited the animals and played in the playground. We finished our trip with maple walnut tarts (we like tarts) and chocolate covered marshmallows on a stick.

We live in the city so it's really nice to get out to the country sometimes. I really love going in the fall. The summer is good for strawberry or cherry picking but something about Autumn makes me feel happy inside.

Our next farm visit will be in October when the pumpkins are ready. We'll pick more apples then too. I can't wait!

I made some concord grape jam/syrup and I'm working on posting that recipe. It was supposed to be jam but it didn't set properly so it's more of a thick syrup, but it's delicious! I have no experience making jam so i'm not surprised it didn't turn out. It won't be my last time though. I will try again!

Here's my jam/syrup. >> Get the recipe.

Comments

Popular Posts